Thursday, April 05, 2012

My favorite age

I remember, especially as Jacob (our oldest) was growing up, feeling like every age was my favorite.  I was experiencing everything for the first time and it was all so sentimental.  Newborn?  My favorite stage.  How can you not soak in every second of them nuzzling into your chest, yawning, their first smiles, their little hands tightened into a fist, those sweet little rooting and startle reflexes.  Six months?  My favorite.  Making them burst into fits of giggles, watching all the exciting firsts of rolling, sitting up, crawling, trying to eat solid foods.  One year?  My favorite.  Watching them take their first steps, smiling as they toddle all over the place, blowing you kisses, dancing.  Eighteen months?  My favorite.  Watching them push their body backwards down steps and slides, proudly clapping for themselves, stringing words together in the most adorable way, the way their eyes light up as they learn new things.  Two years?  Actually not so much my favorite.  All three of my boys definitely hit their terrible twos at this point, and although they did some super cute things, it was a really hard stage!
I've said before that my boys turning four has always been a tough one for me and I think I figured out why.  After watching all of them grow up through these different stages, I'm pretty sure that three is my favorite.  They are starting to become independent, you don't have to worry about naps and diapers, they can tell you what's wrong... yet they still have that baby-cuteness in them.  I have one of these three year-olds right now and more than ever, I feel like I want to capture him at this age forever.   Don't get me wrong, it's so much fun to watch my kids do new things at every age.  It's just that once they go off to school and start growing up, you just realize how precious these moments are when they are little!  Everything Casey says is so stinkin' cute.  He gets his pronouns and words all mixed up in the most adorable way.  He still refers to himself in third person.  He wants to be picked up and cuddle on the couch with his mommy.  He answers all of the Dora and Diego questions, sometimes saying the wrong answer just to be funny.  I can hear him sweetly singing to himself in his bed late at night.  His prayers are so simple and pure.  He will cock his head and give me the most adorable dimpled smile in the world.  He picks me flowers in the spring.  He wants to be just like his big brothers and will make me something out of legos, just so he can put it up high to keep it safe too.  He keeps asking me when we will get our Christmas tree back.  Instead of saying yes or no, it's always "Yes I do" or "No I don't", "Yes, I am" or "No, I'm not."  He always calls our house "Mommy's house".  The other day he said he loved mommy's house because I have nice games.  He asks to be "skewzed" after dinner.  He always, always asks me to lay with him when I tuck him in at night and when I try to get up, he pulls me back down onto the pillow with him. 
I was telling Adam about this the other night and he agreed that three is a pretty cute age.  I'm not sure if it will be the same with Ella... because I hear from all of my friends that three for girls is like two for boys.  Although he can definitely be high maintenance, have dramatic melt-downs, and has been especially clingy since Ella came home, I think it's pretty darn sweet that he spends so much of his day wanting to be with me.  I know those days are numbered and he will be all grown up before I know it. 

Some other funny things Casey's been saying and doing lately:

He is determined to ride his bike faster than his big brothers.  He pedals as fast as his little feet can pedal, but never can quite catch up.  Finally he took the water bottle out from underneath his seat (not knowing what it was) and used it like a gas can saying, "THIS will make my bike faster!!"

I spilled something on the floor and when Casey asked me what I was doing, I answered, "Mommy made a mess so I have to clean it up."  Then he said, "It's okay mommy.  That happened."  (Instead of that happens ;)

He's been having a little problem lately with picking his nose.  Finally Adam said that if he really needed to pick his nose, he should go to the bathroom to do it.  That seemed to work and we've been finding him in the bathroom a lot more lately.  ;)  One evening, he and Gavin sprinted to the bathroom at the same time, Gavin's obviously being an emergency situation.  Regardless, Casey pushes his way around him and says, "I need to pick my nose in this bathroom!!"

We were going into Target yesterday and as Casey held my hand, he said, "Mommy, I used to go here when I was a kid."  To which Gavin replied, "Casey, you ARE a kid!!"

Casey never wants me to leave the house without him.  Ever.  I always tell him how much I'm going to miss him and he says, "I don't want you to miss me!!"  Now whenever he thinks I'm about to leave, he says, "Don't miss me!  I never want you to miss me again!"

Some of his favorite things at 3:

Color- yellow
Food- ice cream
Toy- cars
Game- Candyland
TV Show- Go Diego Go
Animal- Tiger
Place- Disneyland
Movie- Sonic
Drink- water
book- Happy Birthday Pookie
song- The Thomas Song
 I LOVE this little guy!

No comments: