Sunday, June 17, 2012

The last day of Kindergarten

Here I am again, the night before the last day of Kindergarten.  I can't help but feel that same tug on my heart strings, especially as I think back to this post.  How did we get to this day again already?  Why is it so hard?  Maybe it's because his teacher was just amazing.  The cute class books that we got to curl up and read together on the couch, the tooth bag that came home when he lost his first tooth, the birthday bag on his special day, the Thanksgiving feast, dress-up days, the Easter egg hunt, Kindergarten Round-Up, kindergarten songs, kindergarten memory books...  it's just such a fun year!  Maybe it's because I've seen each school year comes with more expectations and it just makes me appreciate the simplicity of Kindergarten.  Maybe it's because I know that he will be in school all day in first grade and I will miss him so much.  Maybe it's because my babies are growing up way too fast.  Maybe it's because I am a total sap.  ;)

Regardless, this day always gives me a huge lump in my throat.  Jacob had an amazing teacher as well, so it's bittersweet to see his second grade year come to a close.  She was awarded teacher of the year last year, and I couldn't help but think when I was volunteering in her classroom that she had the perfect combination of love and discipline.  It was almost as if the second graders loved her so much, they would just automatically comply with whatever she said!  I remember a parent coming up to me on the last day of school, all choked up as he said goodbye.  And I'll never forget when he said,  "Thank you for everything you've done for my son.  I'm standing here in this moment, believing with all of my heart that you are the best teacher he will ever have."  Now that being said, it was only first grade... and I'm sure he had some amazing teachers along the way!  As I think of Jacob's second grade teacher though, I can't help but think she is the best teacher he will ever have. 

At least my boys are looking forward to their last day!  Jacob is actually a little heartbroken to say goodbye to his teacher, but they get to adopt their mouses (more on that in another post ;) so he is beyond excited to bring his mouse home!  I can't believe I will have a first and third grader in just a few days!

No comments: