Sunday, February 10, 2008

My Jacob


My favorite thing about having a four-year old... not a day goes by where he doesn't say something that makes me smile. He's just learning so much everyday and is incredibly curious about well, everything. Questions, questions, questions, all day long. They are so dang cute though!

We were at Zoolights a few months ago, when two girls walked by hand-in-hand. Jacob called out, "HI! What's your name?" They kept walking by so I said, "It's OK Jacob. Sometimes people don't like to tell you their name." They must have realized he was talking to them because they turned around and introduced themselves.

Jacob - "How old are you?"
Me (embarrassed)- "Jacob, you shouldn't ask adults how old they are."
Woman - "It's alright, I don't mind. I'm 29."
Jacob (looking at the woman with a short haircut) - "Are you a boy or a girl?"
Woman (being super nice about it) - "I'm a girl."
Me (thought I was embarrassed before. Nope.) - Apologized as I explained to Jacob that some women just have short hair cuts.

We were talking about what to have for breakfast the other day and Jacob had his heart set on blueberry pancakes. (We always get blueberry pancakes at our favorite breakfast restaurant)

M - I don't know how to make blueberry pancakes Jacob.
J - You can make blueberry pancakes Mommy. You just have to practice.

Jacob recently became shy about praying by himself. He either asks us to pray or wants us to help him. So lately, we have been praying and he will repeat what we say. Or Adam will ask him what he is thankful for, and he will say lions and zebras and ice cream and swimming...

Tonight though, I asked if he could help me pray. He thought for a minute, folded his hands, closed his eyes, and started praying all by himself! I was so excited to hear that sweet, pure voice thinking of his own little prayer again. Afterward, he flexed his muscles and said, "I'm sooo strong cause I help you pray!" I couldn't help but laugh and tell him yes, you are so strong.

Jacob got a balloon from Red Robin and wouldn't let go of it the entire evening. When it was time for bed, he brought it upstairs with the intention of sleeping with it. To his devastation, I let it float to the ceiling in his room.

M - You can watch it from your bed, OK buddy? The balloon will stay right there until you wake up.
J - Oh no, I need a ladder!
Let's build a sand castle. (Where do they come up with this stuff?!)
I. can't. jump. high. enough.
MOMMY!

Jacob really is a good big brother to Gavin. He is worried when Gavin cries and tries his best to comfort him. Whenever he has a snack, he brings one for Gavin too. The other day, he tried to help Gavin onto his chair to play a game. I heard him say, "Gavin, you're getting so much heavy!"

Jacob LOVES treats and tries to eat just enough dinner each night to have one. He always wants to know exactly how many bites he has to take and carefully keeps track as he eats. The funny thing is that during the day, he knows I'm not likely to give him a treat. He constantly is in the pantry though, looking for something he would like. When he finds it, he brings it to me and says, "Mommy, look what I got for you!" Acting all sweet and innocent, like he really just brought it for me. If I eat it, he looks at me with adoring eyes that say... can I have one too?

My favorite thing by far though are the random I love you's. We'll be playing, reading, cooking, or just cuddling and he'll look at me and say, "I love you Mommy." It's the most genuine I love you though ~ nothing could mean more. One time he even said, "Mommy, I know I love you. I just know it."

No comments: