Thursday, July 24, 2008

Growing up so fast


When you're the mom of a 2 year-old, it's unbelievable how they grow up right before your eyes everyday. Gavin has made huge gains in the things he is able to say and do lately, so I wanted to capture them in writing.

First of all, he has gone from saying two words at a time to connecting full (adorable) sentences. Here are some examples of the things he has been saying.

"What is it Mama?"
"I want Honey Bee cereal." (Cheerios :)
"Uh oh, where my elephant?! Where my Toodles?" (The name he made up for his elephant)
"I watch Wiggles!" (When I turn the T.V. on)
"No... that the sun!" (When reading Goodnight Moon)
"Here we are! I get popcorn!" (As we pull into the parking lot of Target)
"What your name? My name Gavin." (To anybody who will listen)
"Baby mommy tummy." (What I heard him saying when he couldn't sleep last night)

Jacob and Gavin were playing hide and go seek with their Daddy last night and this is how it went.
G: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,40! Here comes!
J&G: Daddy! Where are you?!
J: (Coming up to me for a hint) Have you ever seen Daddy?
M: (Smiling) Nope, I've never seen him. ;)

Jacob is really into CVC words and is able to sound out most of these words independently. C-A-T, that spells CAT. R-U-N, that spells RUN. L-O-G, that spells LOG. Gavin, loving to mimic his big brother, thinks he can do it too. B-M-G, that spell mommy. H-I-Y, that spell couch. Pretty darn cute.

I never thought Gavin would be into puzzles the way his big brother is, but he loves them! We started a few months ago with a 9-piece Elmo puzzle, he went straight from that to 12-piece puzzles, and he actually completed his first 24 piece puzzle today. It's kind of cute because we have a picture of Jacob doing a 24-piece puzzle in the hospital when Gavin was born... so now we'll have to get a picture of Gavin completing one when this baby is born! How did we come up with these crazy puzzle kids? At least it gives me some down time when they are both quietly working at the "puzzle table". (Actually our dining room table, but used mostly for puzzles ;)

Gavin is doing really well in his new big boy bed, but sleeping in the same room as his brother? Not working out so much. He's taking so long to fall asleep that it keeps Jacob up way later than usual. So we're tucking Jacob in another room right now and moving him back once Gavin falls asleep. Not ideal, but these boys cannot seem to fall asleep together! Gavin is probably ready to give up his nap, but with the baby coming, I'm definitely not ready for that yet. So we're trying other things...

...like wearing them out!


I must say, the best use of our treadmill yet!

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Oh, that's funny about the treadmill. Yes, tire them out! Maybe that will help. I'm so torn about the girls sharing a room. They love being together, but they get SO much less sleep! And I know Jalyn wasn't ready to give up her naps, but she doesn't take them well anymore with Coley in the room. Oh well. They love it, and I love them having each other. Plus, I live in a two bedroom apartment and can't do much about it! Haha! Good luck!