Tuesday, May 01, 2012

No longer a puppy

I can't believe Sy is ten.  I still remember Adam surprising me with him on my 24th birthday.  How he couldn't run fast without toppling over on himself.  How he chewed up all my shoes.  How he barely passed puppy training.  How he howled and simultaneously walked backward (and still does) when he gets really, really excited.  How he was the cutest puppy I'd ever, ever seen.
Our puppy is getting old... and frankly, it's scaring me.   Too many of my friends who got married around the same time we did (and got a dog a few years later) are having to say goodbye.  I'm just not ready for that and I don't know if I ever will be.
 I truly think Sy will be more sentimental to me than any other dog because he's been there through all of our life's monumental moments.  He was there when Adam got activated after 9/11.  He was there the day we brought home Jacob, Gavin, and Casey from the hospital.  He was there the day Adam got hired for the airline of his dreams.  He was there the day I decided to stay at home.  He was there when we brought Ella home from Russia.  He's been there through it all.
 He truly has been the best, low-maintenance dog.  He hasn't had an accident in the house since he was a puppy (which I'm learning is rare!)  He never gets sick, unless Adam sneaks him too much food from the dinner table.  He is so laid-back and especially now that he is old, sleeps most of the day away.  The only pug drawbacks are shedding and snoring, but I'll take those any day for all of the good things about him.
  Sy went from having us all to himself in our quiet, comfy home... to a house that is never quiet with four kids who are pulling on his curly tail, squeezing him too tight, and trying to ride him like a horsie.  Poor little guy.  With four kids, he doesn't get much attention anymore.  I mean, the kind of attention he wants; not the little kid kind of attention.  Sure, I grab his leash when I'm taking the kids to the park and sometimes late at night when everything is quiet and the fireplace is gleaming, I'll give him his favorite tummy rub.  I feel bad though.  Truth be told, he's gone down about four notches since the day we brought him home and he was our world.
 We love him though.  He has been here for 10 of our 11 years of married life... I can't remember life without him and I can't imagine life without him.  Happy Birthday buddy.  The boys had to get him a cake, of course... ;)
...and a special birthday tummy rub!

No comments: