Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Holmes Family Singers

Since we are on the topic of singing (#6 on my last post), I thought I would share how Jacob and Gavin are adding to the entertainment in this category.

Gavin's first song is Old MacDonald, or as Gavin refers to it, the "E-I-E-I-O" song. We will be sitting at dinner or something and he just blasts it out with his cheesiest smile. "EEE-I-EEE-I-OOOHHH!!!" Apparently, that is our cue to sing a verse for him. Then he can do the animal sounds that go with the verse. Moo moo here, quack quack there, oink oink here, baa baa there(his favorite) and so on. He loves it.

More recently, Gavin is learning how to help clean up. A skill he could have mastered a long time ago, but just decided it was fun a few weeks ago. As we were cleaning up Jacob's puzzle pieces that he spilled, I hear this little voice softly singing "Clee uh clee uh". It took me a while to realize he was singing the clean up song that Jacob and I sing together. It goes, "Clean up, clean up... everybody everywhere. Clean up, clean up... come on Jacob do your share." So Gavin sang, "Clee uh, clee uh... eehbod" and that was all he knew. So cute.

Jacob sings all the time, but I couldn't help but laugh at his version of Mary Had a Little Lamb. It went like this. "Jesus loves his little lamb, little lamb, little lamb. Mary had a little lamb, whose fleece was fried as snow." I totally get how he would add Jesus to the song, because most of the songs we sing have Jesus in them. I have to get especially creative with the songs at night now. A few weeks ago we were reading about Zaccheaus, so I taught him the Zaccheaus was a wee little man song. Now, he thinks every bible story has a song that goes with it. After I read to him, he asks in excitement, "What song goes with that story Mommy?!?!" I actually know a lot of songs that match bible stories from my camp counselor days, but sometimes I just have to make one up so he isn't disappointed.

So Jacob made up his first song for me in the car the other day. "Mommy, I sing the throw up song for you." Greeaat. So, to the tune of Are You Sleeping, Jacob presents the throw up song. "Mmmm. Blah. Mmmm. Blah. I throw up. I throw up. In the night." Whisper. Giggle. And repeat. Maybe it will be a hit someday. ;)

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Boys ARE different from girls, aren't they? Coley makes up tons of songs but I can safely say she's never made one up about throwing up. But I love that he had sound effects, even. MMMmm blah!

L