Thursday, November 08, 2007

Crazy good memory

Jacob has this unbelievable memory that leaves me in awe. Out of the blue, he will say things that happened months (if not more than a year) ago. At age three. Crazy.

First of all, he knows exactly where we are driving at all times. If we drive by a friend's house, Little Gym, Red Robin, church... he immediately tells us. The crazy part is that we aren't close enough to actually see these places, he can just tell if we are in the general vicinity. He recently has taken on the concept of right and left as well. EVERY TIME we turn. "Mommy, you're going left?!" "We're driving by preschool?" These are the comments and questions that fill our entire car ride.

Last year, our small group (and kids) were cleaning up leaves at Emerald Ridge as a service project. As Jacob crunched on the leaves (in this exact place) on the way to church, he said, "Mommy, member when we picked up the leaves?"

We were talking about our old house the other day and wondered if Jacob remembered it. He said that he did. We've been in our new house for eighteen months now, so I really didn't think it was possible. I put him to the test and asked what color the walls were. He immediately answered green.

My sister and I were having coffee and chocolate chip cookies at McDonald's one night while our kids played on the play equipment. This wasn't a typical McDonald's play area. There were tubes and slides everywhere to the point where your child could climb up and literally get lost inside. Jacob had just started potty training and I could hear his panicked little voice from high up inside. "Mommy! I'm stuck. Uh oh. MOMMY, help clean it!" I looked at my sister thinking... he did not just do what I think he did. I tend to panic in these situations, so my sister was the hero of the day. She climbed up those tubes like superwoman and came down with Jacob in her arms. Now THAT's auntie love. I didn't have any spare clothes with me (and let me tell you, we needed spare clothes), so the best thing I could think of was borrowing his cousin's underwear. The funniest thing was that when his cousin handed over her underwear, they were totally wet! My sister and I were cracking up as we carried our practically naked kids out to the car. Seriously, they need to have potties in that play equipment! Anyway, we were in the car yesterday and Jacob said, "Mommy, member when I went poo-poo at McDonald's? Member?" Seriously. At least eight months ago.

Good thing he didn't inherit my terrible memory!

No comments: