Sunday, November 23, 2008

He did it!

I've been trying to be consistent with Casey during the day as far as when he is eating, awake, and sleeping. According to Babywise, he should be sleeping through the night by eight weeks. He had slept for about five hours straight by eight weeks, but that was his max so far.

Throughout this past month, Casey was somehow back to eating every three to four hours at night. Jacob and Gavin were sleeping from nine until five at this age, so I was trying to figure out what was different. I did notice that every time he was waking up, he had broken out of his swaddle. When he was a newborn, we wrapped a blanket around him before we swaddled him because he was so little. Now that he had gotten bigger, we could barely velcro the swaddler around him. So that made it easy for him to kick right out of it.

Suddenly the lightbulb flashed in my head... if I just wrap the swaddler around him without the blanket, it will fit him again! So I dressed him in extra warm jammies (I think he was getting cold too) and carefully placed him swaddled in the bassinet.

I woke up at 2:30. In shock. He hadn't gotten up since 8 o'clock to eat. I checked on him. Sleeping soundly. A few minutes later I checked on him again to make sure he was still breathing. Finally, I went back to bed. I didn't hear his little cry until 5 o'clock. 5 o'clock! 9 hours straight! YEAH!

Last night, I was careful to follow the exact same routine... even putting him in the same pajamas for good luck. He slept from 9 o'clock to 5 o'clock. Thank goodness, because I am a big fan of sleep!

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

That's exactly what happened with J. I HAD to swaddle her and it HAD to stay in order for her to sleep at night. I bought several of the Kiddopotamus SwaddleMe swaddlers, and I remember wondering if I would close it with duct tape to make sure it stayed on her! (I was a big fan of sleep, too!)