Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The puzzle race

I am SUPER competitive. I come from a long line of competitive people, so really... I didn't have a chance. My grandpa, the big softie that he was, never let me beat him in putt-putt golf. My mom taught me the Cougar fight song as soon as I could talk and I don't think she has missed a game since. My sister even threw a board game at me once when I beat her! Then there is me. The one who would cry at a swim meet when I was little if I didn't beat my time. The one who would be totally distraught if I lost a game or didn't get an A in school.

Jacob really wanted me to do a puzzle with him today. He picked one out for me and one for him (both had 100 pieces). I started putting the puzzle together as quickly as I could, curious if I could beat him. I think Jacob must be a little competitive too because he was really into our puzzle race. I glanced over a few times, only to see that he was actually further than I was. What?! He is five years old people, FIVE! (I don't even want to know if my three year-old can beat me) I tried to block out any distractions and focus on putting those pieces together. At one point, I could hear Casey fussing in the background, so we paused the puzzle race. Yes, I actually made Jacob stop and come with me to put Casey down for a nap. Then we ran downstairs to finish the puzzles. When I saw Jacob putting in the final pieces, I knew I didn't have a chance. I didn't stop though. I even timed myself to see how long it took me to finish after Jacob was done. Three minutes. It wasn't even close!

Adam is not competitive AT ALL. So basically, it's not fun to compete with him because he simply doesn't care if he wins or loses. After growing up with my family, I didn't know people like that existed in this world! I hate to admit this, but I'm pretty sure he lets me win sometimes to ensure that I am in a good mood afterward. For example, when we play Texas Hold 'Em with his side of the family, he usually gets bored after a few hands... seriously, how do you get bored playing Texas Hold 'Em?! He will watch until he's fairly certain that I have the best hand... then he goes all in so I get his chips. That's the husband I love. ;)

Anyway, the part I appreciate about Adam not being competitive is that he has a ton of patience and never gives up. For example, he will try snowboarding over and over again until he is able to perfectly carve down the mountain. Meanwhile, he waits to comfort his frustrated wife that has given up and is skidding down on her back edge. I'm getting better, I really am. I try not to show the negative side of being competitive in front of my boys. At least with Adam as their daddy, our kids might have a fighting chance...

1 comment:

Ruby Red Slippers said...

That is funny-I am not that competitive, but my husband is-I think we balance each other out!