Friday, August 28, 2009

Update on Gavin

My little guy has been SUCH a trooper. The next day, he woke up bouncing around like his normal, happy self... and was more than excited to try out the bubbles, watercolors, and M&M's that the tooth fairy left for him. (Jacob was very relieved to see that she had left all of the treats downstairs :)


Meanwhile, I was able to call my dentist (Jacob and Gavin have been seeing him as well), who referred me to a pediatric dentist. After seeing this fun-filled place, I think I'm sold. There were toys, stuffed animals, colorful walls, smiling hygienists, tokens to exchange for prizes... about the most fun a dental appointment can be. ;) The dentist was very personable and told us that Gavin had a 50/50 chance of his left tooth coming back down on its own. (The chance was higher until he looked in Gavin's mouth and saw the root of the tooth bulging against his gums!) So he wanted Gavin to come back in two weeks. If his tooth is coming down on its own by then, they will most likely leave it alone. If not, an oral surgeon will have to remove it.

The part that broke my heart the most yesterday was watching Gavin as he tried to take a bite of cantaloupe. It was then that I realized this poor little guy is going to have to develop a whole new way of eating. Adam tried to show him how to take a bite with the side of his mouth, but I felt too horrible watching his feeble attempts and cut it up for him. Then he went to drink his milk through a straw, and immediately grimaced as it settled right into his sore gap. Tonight, we had corn on the cob and he watched again with his big blue eyes as I cut it all off for him. Poor thing.

Through it all, Gavin has had such a joyful attitude to match his toothless smile. My favorite part was watching him crawl up on our bench to check out his new look for the first time. He carefully pulled his lip up and stared at the new gaping hole in his mouth. Then he started smiling and making funny faces at himself in the mirror. What a silly boy!



I do miss his baby smile... but his new look is growing on me.

4 comments:

Mike, Laura, & Makenna said...

I think Gavin's mommy has been quite the trooper through this all too! ;)

Ruby Red Slippers said...

As a mom, I do feel your pain!!!
This is a big adjustment for you all-
I agree with the "Shores"-You HAVE been a trooper!!!

Charlie said...

Oh my goodness! What a story! I think he looks adorable without his two front teeth. The picture of him looking into the mirror are precious. I was laughing so hard about the tooth fairy. That's totally how Grace would react if I told her someone would be coming through her window. I'm glad it's all working out. These will be stories you're still telling when they're our age!

Heather Mattos said...

What luck huh?! I hope for the best as I am sure you do too. He is a big trooper!