Saturday, November 06, 2010

My BIG boy in his BIG bed

I haven't been in a hurry to get Casey into a big boy bed.  First, we didn't have a big boy bed to put him in.  Second, I am not pregnant so there wasn't a reason to rush Casey out of his crib.  Third, I am convinced that Jacob and Gavin gave up their naps when I switched them to their big boy beds.  And I am sooooooo not ready for that.

Casey really wanted to be in a big boy bed though.  Every time we announced that it was time for bed, he would sprint upstairs, climb in Gavin's bed, pull the covers over himself, and FREEZE.  As if he could stay there all night if he was just still enough.

Adam was ready to put Casey in a big boy bed too.  However, he would always bring up the idea on a random night... like right before he left on a trip.   I'm pretty sure you have to plan these things!  Especially since we tried to take away Casey's binky right before Adam left on a trip... and that definitely did not go over well.  Finally, I agreed that Casey could move to a big boy bed once Adam had gotten home from his next trip.  That way, he would hopefully be all adjusted by the time his daddy had to leave again!

Casey ended up being the easiest transition by far.  Maybe it was because he wanted to be in a big bed SO badly.  Maybe it was because Adam had a "special" daddy/son talk right before laying him down.   Whatever the reason, he didn't even try to get out once.  We tucked him in with his blanket and he froze like an ice cube.   In fact, we didn't hear one peep out of him until he fell asleep.  With Jacob and Gavin, we were camped outside of their room so we could be right on top of it if they tried to get out of bed.  With Casey, we watched a movie down the hall with the door open ~ just in case.  I guess you really do get more laid back with each kid.  :)





Did he sleep the entire night?  Yes.  Did he take a nap the next day?  Yes.  In fact, it's been four days and Casey hasn't even gotten out of bed one time.   Phew... an easy transition?  I'll take it!  Now onto potty training...  (SOOOO kidding.)

4 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

How old is he? Morgan does the same thing...runs to Brooke's bed and climbs in and freezes like we won't notice. She throws a fit when I scoop her out of Brooke's bed and take her to her crib.

I just don't want to have her out of the crib while Brad is gone...I can't handle the thought of no one napping around here! I have the pacifier issue, too. I said I would do it when she was 2 but that is during the deployment...not sure now. She may just stay a baby awhile longer.

Lovin' on my Boys said...

Casey turned two in August. I would just do whatever is easiest on you during his deployment! I wouldn't want to chance the no napping either. :) If it weren't for Adam pressuring me, I would've waited even longer! ;)

I am glad we waited on the pacifier so Casey had something comforting during the transition. I think it really helped. We'll deal with that issue another day I guess!

Anonymous said...

Glad it went well!! Nick was a nightmare so I'm happy that you weren't having to camp outside the door:) Kate

Heather Mattos said...

glad that was an easy transition. we are getting close for payton to go into her big girl bed but I am holding out as long as possible. I have the feeling that her nap would disappear and I am not ready for that. Good luck with potty training! we have to bribe payton with pennies to put in her piggy bank when she goes potty. :)