Thursday, May 05, 2011

Our garden

Those of you who know me know I do not have a green thumb.  Almost every plant I buy... dies.  The only reason I have any plants or flowers is because my mom pretty much does the entire yard for my birthday each year.  Thankfully, since Adam put in a sprinkler system for our grass, the plants and flowers usually get just enough water.  Because if they counted on me, they wouldn't make it.  ;)

I have always thought it would be fun to plant a vegetable garden with the boys, but I really got serious about it after the boys planted pumpkin seeds at the spring fair.  I had no idea something so simple could make them so happy.  When the stem first popped out of the dirt, their eyes lit up and they were more thrilled than I would ever have imagined.  It was so sweet!  I told Adam and was surprised how quickly he jumped on the bandwagon.  Within a few days, he was off to Home Depot and in the backyard building a raised garden bed.  Jacob and Gavin loved watching daddy use his power tools!
Jacob putting his first grade measuring skills to good use!
 Almost done...
Tadaa!  He even gave the garden it's own special sprinkler system.  Ha!  He knows me well.  ;)
So we planted seeds.  Other than reading the directions on the back, I had no idea what I was doing.   I hope something grows.  Please something grow!
 Obviously, it meant a lot to Jacob since he wrote about it twice on the top ten things he loves about me.  The funny thing is, between building the garden bed, setting up the sprinkler system, and hauling the dirt, Adam spent about five hours making the garden.  I came out with the boys and we made a few holes... dropped in a few seeds... done.  Ten minutes tops.  Yet, I got all the credit for being the best mom in the world because I made Jacob a garden.  Hilarious!

No comments: