Friday, October 19, 2012

Maui

We got to go to Maui a few weeks ago!  By ourselves!  Adam never knows his schedule more than a few weeks ahead of time, so we always have to be pretty spontaneous about getting away.  The trickiest part is finding care for our four kiddos... thank goodness for grandparents! 

 When we were on the flight, the pilot announced that there was a very special guest on board... Chuck Yaeger!  Okay, so admittedly, I didn't exactly know who Chuck Yaeger was at first.  After seeing my husband's eyes get huge, I knew he was somebody important though.  Adam was speechless at first, but I finally got it out of him that Chuck Yaeger was the first pilot to ever break the speed of sound!  That if there was anyone he would want to meet someday, it would be him.  After that, I was on a mission... determined to get their picture together.  After getting up to the cruising altitude and waiting for the cart to roll by with drinks, I walked up the aisle only to find that he was asleep.  (He is 87 after all!)  I was surprised being as old as he was and the legend that he is, that he wasn't in first class!  Finally, Adam got up to use the bathroom and saw that he was awake.  They started a conversation, while I played paparazzi in the background.
 I think his wife knew that I wasn't able to get the best picture, so she offered to take one for us after we walked off of the airplane too! 
Chuck Yaeger started off our whole bucket list conversation.  How it would be fun to write down the things we've always wanted to do and check off as many as we can together!  So then we were going to rent a car (always getting the cheapest one possible).  This time though, the agent saw Adam's military ID, thanked him for his service, and gave us a cherry red convertible.  Woohoo!  Check another thing off of our bucket list!
  So fun!!

 We made it to my dad's condo! 
The next morning we got coffee, cinnamon rolls, and took a walk along the beach...
All of a sudden, it started pouring!  Ironically, it was really sunny back in Washington and locals kept telling us how it NEVER rained here.  We were determined to make the best of anything though... we were alone, without kids! 
Later that night, we got to go to the luau that my sister has been telling us about forever.  The Feast of Lele is more of an intimate setting for couples, and we've never been to Maui without our kiddos! 
Despite the rain, it was a gorgeous night!

They bring yummy tropical drinks to your table, along with FOUR courses of food from islands around the world. 
Meanwhile, they entertain you!
At one point, Adam and I walked down to the water and the next performers were walking toward us on the beach.  One girl looked really nervous and was practicing her routine by the water and the rest of them were all casually talking.  Adam and I were just sitting in the sand... I don't even think they knew we were there!  Beautiful setting, but it looks a bit like it's going to rain right??
Yep, as soon as the first raindrop hit, they immediately began passing out
"emergency ponchos".  You could tell we weren't in Washington anymore!  Everybody immediately tore open their packages as if it truly was an emergency.  Hilarious!


The fire dancers!
Loved having this time to make memories with my hubby!
The next day, we went back to Iao Valley to go for a real hike.  The last time we were here, we stayed on all of the tourist pathways... but this time, we dove in to explore this lush, tropical jungle!

There was fruit that looked and tasted like pomegranite everywhere!
At one point, the trails disappeared and you had to travel by stream if you wanted to continue.  
So we kept going and eventually found a waterfall!

Then, we drove to my favorite beach in Kaanipali to watch the sunset!


There was a man who was taking pictures of his girlfriend on the beach.  Then another girl came down and he took pictures of her.  Then another.  I don't know if he was a professional photographer, or just taking pictures of his girlfriend's friends?  People watching = never a dull moment!



The next morning we went snorkeling right outside my dad's condo and I saw a sea turtle!  After following him a little bit deeper into the ocean, he led us to another sea turtle!  Last time Adam went snorkeling there, he saw a sea turtle and was describing how massive he was.  I have always wanted to see one... another check off of my bucket list!

We went to Wailea for breakfast. 
We finally got the gorgeous, sunny day we were hoping for!!
Adam showed me the hotel he stays in when he is flying for his airline.  Ummm... I had no idea he was set up so well?!  One of these days I'm going to jump on the flight with him!


The boardwalk that seems to go on forever...


We didn't want to leave and it went by way too fast, but we were so thankful for the time we got to spend together!

No comments: