Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The good news and the bad news


We went to our friend's house last night to celebrate her husband finishing his dissertation. They have a really fun yard for all of the kids to play in, so Jacob and Gavin were in heaven. There was a giant trampoline to jump on, kids playing baseball, a curvy tree that was perfect for climbing (Jacob's personal favorite) and a tire swing.

Gavin and Kailey ran to the tire swing and a friend from our small group was spinning them. When I say spinning, I mean Gavin and Kailey clutching on with all of their might as they twirled around as fast as the tire swing could go. :) I stood there, dizzy just watching them, wondering if I should get Gavin. He looked like he was having so much fun though, yelling "Gain, gain!" (again, again) Kailey eventually got off and was pretty pale, but Gavin kept going. Until he threw up. Everywhere. (Did I mention they had just eaten dinner?)

Anyway, the good news is that while I was stripping Gavin down, he wouldn't let me put a new diaper on. I wasn't sure why, but figured it didn't really matter if he wanted to run around naked. When I looked again, he was squatted down and peeing in the grass. I realized that he didn't want his diaper on because he knew he had to go potty! After that, he let me put on his diaper and clean clothes and he was off to play.

Could it be? Gavin's first notion that he is ready to potty train? Jacob never showed any interest in potty training. Once he turned three, we decided it was time for him to learn whether he was interested or not. I was so glad we waited because he was fully trained in a couple of days. Although summer would be so ideal for Gavin to potty train, I don't think we are going to master any new concepts before the baby is born.

The bad news? We were at the playground today and Gavin wouldn't even go NEAR the tire swing. He would sit on the regular swing, but didn't even want me to push him on that. He just sat there. Poor little guy... I hope he isn't damaged for life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Gavin. I know I can't even watch a spinning child (or anything for that matter) without wanting to throw up myself. That is awesome he seems ready to start potty training. Woohooo! :o)