Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Jacob's first story

After jumping off of the school bus today, Jacob decided that he wanted to write and illustrate his first story!  I could feel my heart flutter in excitement as I watched him carefully fold four pieces of paper into a book.  Being a first grade teacher, this was a proud moment... almost as proud as when he read his first book.  :)  I was surprised and impressed that he seemed to know just what to do.  He started with the title page and numbered each page in succession.  The only information he would give me was that it was about ogres going on a trip.  Where they were going was supposed to be a BIG surprise and he didn't want me to know until the book was finished.

I smiled as I watched him hard at work.  He didn't ask any questions, not even how to spell anything.  (I was actually glad because I wanted it to be his own special book, imperfections and all.)  He only paused once to think about where he wanted the ogres to go.  Then he kept right on working until finally I saw the words "The End," along with his beaming little face.  Then he held my hand, pulled me to couch, and snuggled in to read me his very first story...






Memories flooded back of helping my first graders write their very first stories... but when it's your own first grader, it's even more special!  I hugged Jacob tight and told him I would keep his book forever... and I will.

No comments: