Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sick...

Today was a loooooong day.  Gone are the days when I only had one little guy to worry about.  The days when I could cuddle with Jacob for hours if he was sick.  The days when helping him feel better was the only care I had in the world.  Because when you have three kids, it's a totally different story...

It all started with Casey getting a stomach bug last weekend, then it was passed on to Jacob, Adam, and me.  I was so relieved little Gavin had seemed to slip through the cracks, but it hit him this morning.  HARD.  The rest of us only threw up once or twice, but this poor little guy was throwing up repeatedly the entire day.  I've never seen anything like it.  He was such a trooper though, running to the toilet to "spit" (as he calls it) and going right back to whatever he was doing before.  I thought it was pretty impressive that my four-year old made it to the toilet every. single. time.  I was very grateful for that.  :)  Slowly though... he became tired.  Tired of throwing up, tired of feeling yucky, tired of not being able to eat or drink anything.  He never complained, I just saw it in his eyes.  This exhausted, defeated look that makes a mother's heart sink.  

I would have given anything to cuddle with him all day.  With two other boys to care for and Adam out-of-town, it was really tough.  I didn't have my husband getting home at five o'clock to look forward to a glimpse of a break.  It was raining outside.  Casey was being his normal, high maintenance, two-year old self.  I just had all day long of fixing meals, cleaning up meals, running to the bathroom with Gavin, washing clothes, and trying to keep my healthy boys somewhat entertained... 

As I looked at Gavin, asleep on the couch in pure exhaustion, I couldn't help but be thankful though.  Thankful that he would only be sick for one or two days.  Thankful for his laid-back, "I can handle this mom" personality.  Thankful that I had the stomach flu while Adam was home to take care of the boys.  Thankful that Jacob was being the absolute sweetest, most helpful big brother.  

The only request Gavin had was that I came to watch him spit.  :)  As I was rubbing Gavin's back, Jacob asked, "Why do you always come to watch us throw up?  You're going to get sick too mommy." I smiled and said, "That what mommies do.  Our job is to take care of you.  We love you soooo much and we would never want you to be sick by yourself.  We always want to help you feel better."  Then Jacob prayed for Gavin to feel better because with faith like a child... prayers are always answered.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

You are the best mommy ever!! I love Jacob's sweet hear they prays and KNOWS it will be answered. I love that Gavin has the skill of making it to the toilet (he should teach Kailey) and, unlike most men, doesn't whine about being sick. Sorry you had a rough day!! Proud of you for being the selfless mom you are!!

Heather Mattos said...

it sounds like you had a hard day. glad that you are all feeling better and I praise all of your hard work. you are a wonderful momma.