Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

Saint Patrick's Day.  Usually I don't remember until the night before or even that morning (when I am frantically searching for green shirts for everyone to wear.  :)  Thankfully, this year I remembered the night before.... because I realized that Jacob did not have a green shirt ANYwhere.  Even though my husband totally didn't think it was necessary, I ran to Target and bought him one.  After all, nobody wants to be the boy without a green shirt on Saint Patrick's Day.  Right?...

I wanted to make some sort of special treat with the boys so I found this recipe for rainbow cupcakes.  Gavin especially is into mixing colors together to see what they make, so it was really fun to divide the cake batter into each color of the rainbow! 
 Here is how they turned out... yummy even.  ;)
 Jacob's kindergarten teacher went all out when it came to leprechauns "visiting the classroom" last year.  So he really wanted to leave a rainbow cupcake on our table... just in case a leprechaun came.  As I was tucking Jacob in, he begged me to leave out a shamrock word search and a green crayon.  He thought the leprechaun would love it.   I decided to play along, so Jacob woke up to an empty cupcake wrapper, a word search carefully completed with green crayon, and a note.  Oh... and lots of green milk.  ;)
 When I taught first grade, we used to set out leprechaun traps the day before.  The next morning, kids would enter the classroom and desks would be tipped over, notes and gold coins were left behind, and little green footprints were everywhere.  I didn't go to that extreme, but I did have some green paint to make a footprint on his note.  ;)
 Hope you had a good St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: