Monday, November 14, 2011

Meetcha Day!!

God is so good!  We met our little girl today!  She is absolutely amazing!  We honestly don't think it could have gone any better... we are truly blessed! 

We met the couple we were driving with in the downstairs lobby and they immediately told us to grab some of the fruit that was on display, because in their experience, we wouldn't be eating for a long, long time.  Thankfully, we had gallons of water already, so we grabbed some fruit and were on our way.  We talked for almost the entire four hour drive.  Another thing they didn't tell us was to be sure to use the bathroom before we left because our driver was on a strict time schedule.  About halfway there, Adam and I thought we were going to burst and couldn't hold it any more.  Our new friends politely asked him if we could stop to use the restroom and thankfully, he said he would in ten minutes.  Phew!  Everywhere we stopped, he would tell us how many minutes we had.  The bathroom?  14 minutes.  Our hotel?  10 minutes.  The adoption center?  Well, he told us he would be back in 2 minutes but it ended up being about 30.  This is where he picked up our interpreter and told us the next stop was the orphanage!

My heart was absolutely pounding.  We waited for six months, flew halfway around the world, drove for four hours... all. for. this. moment.  It was truly unbelievable.  The orphanage looked really clean and they immediately gave us plastic footies to wear over our shoes.  Then our interpreter led us into a room and told us to have all of our questions prepared for the social worker.  Adam and I looked at each other, held hands, and prayed.  It was all we could do to pass the time until they brought our little girl into our arms.  Then the door creaked open and in she walked, (yes walked!!), holding the two fingers of one of the orphanage caregivers.  They immediately introduced us as momma and papa and we could tell they were assuring her we were safe and friendly.  She clutched onto the orphanage caregiver for a few moments, who steered her toward me with her fingers... and she walked right to me!  I immediately was gushing over her and kissing her chubby little cheeks with tears in my eyes.

Adam wanted me to make the first connection because children in orphanages typically never interact with males.  This might be the first time she ever saw one.  He happily took pictures of this moment in time, but it was only a few seconds before I used my fingers to lead her over to him.  And she seriously almost never left his side.  It was the most adorable thing I've ever seen.  Almost as if she knew she needed a daddy... and he didn't skip a beat.  Adam was absolutely amazing with her, just as I knew he would be.  They played with a ball, explored some toys, blew bubbles, and played all the familiar little daddy games that he played with each of our boys.  I think she's going to be daddy's little girl for sure.

We went over some paperwork and the orphanage workers played with her in the background.  You could tell that they loved her, truly loved her.  They ooohed and aaahed and laughed and played together.  I have no doubt that she is extremely well-loved here, which is so comforting.  They told us lunch was at noon and let us have some time alone with her.   Funny enough, right at noon, she looked worried and showed us a few hungry tears.  Thankfully, we bought puffs with us and she gnawed on one with an expressive little look... and proceeded to eat the entire bag!  A few minutes later, they picked her up promptly for lunch. 

When she was back from lunch, they told us we would get to play with her until 3:30!  We had no idea we would get to see her that long!  So we played and took pictures and played and took more pictures.  She seems right on target with milestones for this age, which being in an orphanage, we were not expecting at all.  We think she either learned to walk for the first time a few days ago, (or maybe it was with us today??) but Adam and I sat a few feet away from each other and she would go back and forth, taking a few steps and falling into our arms.  We also saw her crawling, which I was really happy to see.  She had an amazing pincher grasp with both hands as she happily ate her puffs.  She would mimic things Adam was doing and looked right into our eyes.  She babbled away in delight as we played.  We also could see about four teeth cutting, so her happy demeanor was incredible.  :)

I was surprised they didn't whisk her away for a nap, and low and behold, around two o'clock she started rubbing her eyes. I always hear how children in an orphanage do not like to be held and it is best to lay them down to fall asleep on their own.  My mommy instinct kicked in though and I gently rocked her back and forth... and she was asleep in my arms in less than a minute.  I couldn't believe it!  So Adam and I watched her sleep on my chest until they finally did whisk her away for a nap.  The orphanage worker seemed very happy to see her sleeping in my arms and kept saying something over and over in Russian to me.  And as she left, Adam noticed she had left an imprint of this perfect little hand print on my chest.  Right over my heart... and inside my heart!

I'm so sorry to say that our adoption agency doesn't want us posting pictures publicly over my blog until she is officially ours.  I would love to share them with you through an email or on facebook if you would like to see them.

And yes... after twelve hours, we did get to eat.  In case you were worried.  ;)

There was a verse that came to my mind over and over the entire day.

John 14:18  I will not leave you as orphans.  I will come to you.

One moment that will forever be engrained in my mind was when we drove up to the orphanage and saw about twenty toddlers, all bundled up and walking hand in hand with their caregivers out to the playground.  It broke my heart.  I wanted to bring them all home.  My prayer is that they will have a happy ending too and a mommy and daddy will come for them soon...

13 comments:

Michelle A said...

Kerri :) What an amazing experience! Would you send some pictures??? I would love to see them! You can email me :)

Lovin' on my Boys said...

Hey! I just realized the first try didn't go through but we emailed them to Tyler's account? Did you get them?

Allison said...

Kerri, I would love to see photos as well! :-)

Missy said...

This made me cry! What an amazing story! I'm so anxious for you to bring her home!

Anonymous said...

Why do you gotta make me cry?? ;) Perfect words for a perfect day...such a blessing!! Between the words and the pictures, I can just "see" your love for her already!!!
Love, L

and the dog makes 4 said...

Beautiful! Of course I would love for you to email me some pictures!!

Lovin' on my Boys said...

Allison, I think Wendi is sending them to our small group for me. Amy, they are on their way! :)

The Journey to our Daughter said...

What an awesome experience. I'm very happy for you guys! I would love to "see" her.
cpinson2@cox.net.
Kelly pinson

Allison said...

Seriously, she is SO beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing them with us, and we can't wait until you're back so you can tell us all about it, in person! We also can't wait until you're home with her for good! :-)

Tara said...

Love love love :) Thank you for having Wendi share the pictures with us! She is so very perfect!! We can't wait to meet her!

Michelle A said...

Kerri!!! Thank you! We got the pictures.....we both are so very happy for you guys! Cant wait to meet the little princess!!! :) She is perfect!!! XOXO

Wendi said...

Girlfriend!!! I have cried most of the day!!! Every time I see that pic of you holding her... I lost it! Reading your posts... espeicially today... here come the tears again!! I am SOOOOO excited for you!!!

Heather Mattos said...

this story brought tears to my eyes. she is going to be a very happy girl coming home with you all. Please email me pics too!! I must see how cute she is. heathermattos@gmail.com