Friday, November 09, 2012

A Tribute to 20 years

At the age of 19, my husband joined the Air Force with the dream of being a pilot someday.
After twenty years and securing an airline position, he was ready to say goodbye.  It wasn't an easy goodbye though.  After accumulating nearly 4,500 flying hours and flying over 200 combat missions, a piece of his heart will always be with the Air Force.  As I watched him zip up his flight suit for the last time, my thoughts drifted back through the years of my life as a military wife.  Thoughts drifted back to when Adam graduated from pilot training, what an honor it was to pin the "wings" on his uniform with his mom.  We were so young, so in love, and after a year of long-distance dating, I couldn't wait to spend the rest of my life with him.  Thoughts drifted back to when I was student teaching, right before our wedding, when his Air Force trips consisted of seven day trips to Australia or four day trips to Japan.  Then, after tragedy struck on 9/11, everything changed.  I remember him coming home on Valentine's Day, telling me that he had been activated and not knowing what our future would hold.  Thoughts drifted back to finding out I was pregnant with Jacob shortly after he left on his first twenty-one day trip.  I remember being so giddy to tell him on the phone, but wishing more than anything he could be there to celebrate with me.  Thoughts drifted back to when he would get the call that he had to go on another trip... each time he hugged me goodbye, my heart would sink inside my chest and tears would sting my eyes.  It never got easier.  Thoughts drifted back to the feeling of not knowing when he would be able to call next, nervous if it had been more than a few days.  I remember lying awake at night, wondering where he was and praying that he was safe.  Thoughts drifted back to the feeling of utter disappointment when I missed his call while I was at work.   Thoughts drifted back to jolting awake to his phone call in the middle of the night, so grateful to talk for any amount of time.  I remember dreading the automated voice that would tell us we only had one more minute.  Thoughts drifted back to the anticipation of knowing he was supposed to be home, only to find out that his plane had broken.  I remember the agony of how long the days felt when they were unexpectedly added onto his trip.  Thoughts drifted back to the feeling of exhilaration when he finally did come home, how I would run and jump into his arms and never want to let go.  I remember the feel and the smell of his leather jacket as I clutched onto it. Thoughts drifted back to all of the spouse flights, where I would stare in awe at the breathtaking scenery while Adam would give me a taste of what life was like in the sky.  Thoughts drifted back to taking our boys to the air shows and how proud they were that their daddy flew the biggest plane on display.  Thoughts drifted back to how hard it was for him to be constantly adjusting to different time zones.  The long hours and sleep deprivation would often take its toil, to the point of him getting sick on and off duty.  Thoughts drifted back to Thanksgivings where his meal was in a chow hall in the desert instead of at home with family.  Thoughts drifted back to one Christmas in particular when he was supposed to be on a trip, but as the plane was pushing back, there was an announcement that the flight was delayed due to weather and he got to come home!  Thoughts drifted back to never being able to get through a Veteran's Day assembly at school without my eyes filling with tears.  Thoughts drifted back to how much it meant when someone would shake his hand and thank him for his service.  

And now, I will always remember what an honor it was to watch him at his retirement ceremony.  I can't even describe how proud I was of him in that moment.  I am so thankful for everything he has endured to provide for our family and serve our country.
His certificate of retirement from the Air Force

His certificate of appreciation, signed by the president.
To my surprise, there was even a wife appreciation award.  


I'll be honest, Adam didn't really want a retirement ceremony.  He just isn't a person who needs or wants to be in the spotlight.  I kept encouraging him though, because it was such a huge part of his life for so many years.  After his commander spoke, I realized why it was so important to me.  He was talking about how Adam was in the five percent that was behind the scenes, working quietly without needing recognition or causing problems.  Then he thanked Adam for his character, his service, and for the sacrifices he made.  I got choked up at this point.  After 20 years in the Air Force, it was just really good to hear somebody genuinely thank him for his service... and for a job well done.  Even if he thought he didn't need to hear those words, I'm so glad he did.

Then Adam, with roses in hand, stood up to talk about me 
... and I lost it.  
I was trying to hold it together because I knew if I started crying that Adam probably would too.  I completely failed and we both totally lost our composure.  
Giving his mom a hug and some roses too.  :)
Did I mention our four kiddos were sitting in the front row with me this entire time?   I told them it was a special day for their daddy and they were seriously so quiet and respectful. I was so unbelievably proud of them.
This picture looks like I'm saluting!

Adam with his parents and his best friend.
Gotta love the C-17 in the background!
Ella carrying mommy's roses  :0)
Being silly in the car after Adam put his hat on my head.

Major Adam Holmes, I am so proud of you!  Thank you for all you have sacrificed... the time you spent away from home, the holidays you missed, the sleep you lost, the hours upon hours of flying, never knowing when you would be home, never knowing how long you would get to stay home.  Thank you for being such an awesome provider for our family.  You set an amazing goal for yourself and you accomplished it.  I am honored to be your wife and I am excited to embark on this next stage of life with you.  Thank you for 20 years of serving our country.  You're amazing.


2 comments:

Missy said...

Amazing tribute! Happy Veterans Day to you all and thanks for your service Adam!

Our Russian Adopted Princess said...

Thank you for this post, we want to thank Adam for all he has done for our country and for you as his family to serve along side him. we are forever grateful for servants like Adam.