Thursday, November 01, 2012

A Walk Down Memory Lane...

My baby girl is turning two on Tuesday.  She was in an orphanage for her first birthday (which absolutely crushed me at the time to think about), but she is here now... and we get to celebrate!!!  I can't even describe how excited I am after 18 boy birthday parties (Yes, I seriously just figured out that math!) decked out in blue, I finally get to deck the house out in pink!!!  YAY!!!

This time of year especially, memories are flooding back.  Memories of speaking at our church last year on Orphan Sunday.  At the time, we thought Ella's birthday was on November 10th, but little did we know, it was her actual first birthday while we were speaking onstage.  It's amazing how God speaks to people through the power of coincidence.  We also found out later that Ella's birth mother signed the paperwork to give up Ella on the same exact day that we signed the paperwork to adopt with our agency.  Amazing.  On Orphan Sunday this year (November 4th), Ella will be with us!

Memories of experiencing Russia for the first time.  I took so so many pictures of Ella, but I wish I would've taken more pictures of Russia.  While we were driving, walking around, the food we ate, everything!  It was an amazing journey and I wish I had a picture (or better yet, a video!) of every moment, every experience. Memories of meeting Ella for the first time, how our hearts pounded when the door slowly opened and in walked our baby girl!  Memories of how strange and helpless it felt to take her out for her first car ride without a car seatMemories of walking down Arbot Street with the couple we were blessed to travel with on each trip (they were adopting a little girl from the same orphanage)!  Memories of court and how intimidated and nervous we were.  Memories of how it felt to see Ella afterward and know that she was OURS!  Memories of dressing her up on Gotcha Day.  Memories of stepping outside the orphanage, never knowing if we would be able to return.  Memories of hanging out in Russia with our daughter.  Memories of how special it was to bring her home on Christmas Eve.  Three trips to Russia in five weeks seemed like a crazy, overwhelming whirlwind at the time... but oh, what I would give to somehow re-live it all!

It's hard to believe that Ella has been home for almost a year.  It wasn't easy, especially at first, but I am thankful everyday that we said yes to adoption.  We gave God the days that were overwhelming and scary, we gave God the unknowns about what our daughter would look like and the fact that she may have delays or medical issues, we gave God all of the details that were out of our control, and He blessed our socks off.  Amazing.

I have a friend who has adopted three children from Russia, and is bringing home two siblings within the month.  Just looking at their sweet faces makes me want to go back and adopt as many more as I could fit in our house!  I'm so thankful for her and how God is using her family for His glory.  Her new son and daughter happen to be in the same orphanage that Ella was in, so I put together a photobook of Ella's first year home with note glued to the front cover.  Here is the message she sent me from Russia!
"Hey Kerri!!! Omg, the director teared up and smiled when she read your note and saw Ella's pictures!! She must have said "spasiba!" about 6 times! She loved that you wanted to share these pictures and special words with her!! She later shared the book with Tanya and other workers there who all remembered Ella and were just giddy over how beautiful she is!! I personally loved watching and feeling all the love in the room!!! Thank you for allowing me to share in this special moment!"

Filled. my. heart. with. joy.

My little girl is turning two!  I better go get everything ready!

No comments: