Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Little Gym. Part II.

I took Gavin to Little Gym this week for the very first time. Although I was really excited to bring him, it was actually a little more bittersweet than I was expecting. I've just been so used to taking Jacob... since he was 21 months old. I had this sad pit in my stomach as I watched Jacob (preschool hadn't started yet) peer through the window with his sweet eyes. I felt as if I was betraying him somehow by being there with Gavin. Little Gym has always been a mommy and Jacob thing. We have so many memories and bonding moments there. How did he get too big for this class already? With all of these thoughts going through my head, I convinced myself that it's time to make those memories and have those moments with Gavin now.

The class starts in a circle, as each child is introduced and gets to bang on the drum. This was Jacob's favorite part, so I couldn't wait to watch Gavin run to the drum in excitement. Except he didn't. He clung to mommy with a scared little look. Seriously?! I thought he would be all over the drum! The air track came next, which he would only go on if I went with him. He did like the exploring time and tried the little activities his teacher modeled. He also loved playing with the balls and squealed in delight as we passed it back and forth. All was well actually, until it was time to clean up the balls. Gavin threw the biggest. fit. ever!! I guess we haven't practiced this skill at home so much. We just play until we are done, without a specific time to clean up. That's the great thing about Little Gym. They are learning so many things that I don't even realize! Anyway, he decided to finally calm down when the bubbles came out. Thank goodness.

Where is my Little Gym buddy who knows everything? I guess we have to start from scratch. Kind of like each beginning of the school year. I'm sure it won't be long before Gavin is doing forward rolls, monkey jumps, bear walks, and walking on the balance beam. He'll be a pro too someday... it just might take awhile. ;)

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Oh, Kerri! We went to our first class today, Jalyn and I. It was great but I had some of the same feelings today. Jalyn did better jumping right in than it sounds like Gavin did, but I still kept picturing Coley there instead!