Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas shopping

We were shopping the other day and Gavin found one of those Christmas CD displays, where you can push a button and listen to the different samples of music. Once he realized that he could reach the buttons and change the music himself, his face burst into joyful smile. Then he slowly broke out with his little toddler dance. People started stopping to watch as he pushed a button, listened to the song, and either bounced up and down if it was fast or swayed back and forth if it was slow. I could've watched him all day. With all the Christmas hustle and bustle, you just have to stop and enjoy a precious moment every now and then.

Speaking of shopping, I fully admit to not having this Santa thing down yet. I have always been able to Christmas shop with my kids under the assumption that they will soon forget what I put in the cart. This still works with Gavin, but for Jacob... those days are over. A few months ago, I picked out some movies at Costco and Jacob STILL talks about them. "Mommy, where'd you put those movies? You hid them for Christmas?!" See what I mean? Not so good at the Santa thing. Now when we are at the store Jacob will say, "Mommy, I like Lucky Ducks for Christmas. Just buy Lucky Ducks and hide it." Smart kid. He's got it all figured out. Did I mention that I'm also not the best at hiding the presents? He finds them. "Mommy! Is this my present? Are you hiding it for Christmas?" Hmmm... so Christmas might not be much of a surprise this year. Maybe I'll have it figured out for next year.

No comments: