Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A tribute to my mom

Where do I begin about my mom? Words cannot express how much she means to me. She must know that my love language is spending time with people because she is always there for me. Growing up, she was at every basketball game, every swim meet. Even the majority of my swim practices... and can you imagine how boring swim practices are? She was there to help me with science projects, writing essays, and tears over silly boyfriends. My mom devoted every second and saved every nickel to give my sister and me the best life that she could.

Now that I am older, hardly a day goes by when I don't talk to my mom. She is there for me more than ever. If Adam is on a trip, she drives down in a heartbeat to stay with us while he is away. She watches our kids so Adam and I can go on vacation to refresh our marriage. When one of our boys is sick, she is researching how to help them. While I am teaching, she is in my backyard pulling all of the weeds. She reads to my boys, helps them put puzzles together, plays games with them, and most of all... makes them feel loved. There is nobody they run to with more excitement than their Grammy.
~Grammy with Jacob

~Grammy with Gavin

~Grammy with Casey


Today is her 60th birthday. Two weeks ago, a good friend threw her a party. My mom thought she was attending a dinner with staff from the school she used to teach at, but what she didn't realize was that they were all there for her birthday. My sister and I drove up to surprise her as well. Their former principal hosted the event with humor and fun facts about the year she was born. Then one by one, people stood up to share about my mom. One spoke about how she let their family stay at her house so they didn't have to live in a hotel. Others shared about her love for the students in her classroom... staying after school to help them or buying shoes for a student who couldn't afford them. Many had great memories about vacationing with my mom or holding up a GO COUGS sign in the back of the staff picture one year. It brought tears to my eyes to see how much my mom appreciated everything they had to say. I will always remember what a special night it was.



My sister and I had also made a special gift for my mom. We helped each grandkid stamp their handprint on a piece of paper, along with the bible verse "How can we thank God enough for you?" 1 Thessalonians 3:9. Then around the edge my sister, Maddie, Jacob, and I wrote words that describe my mom. Thoughtful, giving, hero, wise, beautiful, role model, caring, devoted, encourager, fun, blessing...

I love you so much mom. You inspire me every day with your thoughtful and selfless heart. So many of the things I do for Jacob, Gavin, and Casey are because you set such an incredible example for me. One of the saddest days in my life will be when you are gone and one of the happiest will be when we are reunited in heaven. Most of all, thank you for raising me to know and love God. Without that, I would have nothing.

4 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

Such a sweet tribute...I read it thinking that I hope and pray that my girls will say similar things about me when they grow up.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

That was so beautiful!!!
I feel so similar about my mom who has such a servant heart for me and my boys, and my sister and her kids. She is who I want to be like-
I love the handprint picture-hope you don't mind if I copy it for our mom? That is something so special she would love more than anything!

Heather Mattos said...

You just made me tear up!! You sound like you have such a wonderful mom and the boys a wonderful grandma. Now, I know where you get your thoughtful and kind heart:)

Tylertopia said...

What a special mom you have. Very sweet tribute! :o)