Saturday, May 12, 2007

Insomnia

I am one of those people who fall asleep as soon as their head hits the pillow. Sometimes even before that. As much as I try to stay up and watch a movie with Adam in our family fun room, I usually ending up falling asleep in his lap. Of course, there are a few exceptions to this rule... the night before the first day of school, the night before an evaluation, and when I'm super uncomfortably pregnant. Other than that, I am usually exhausted and asleep in seconds.

Jacob, however, is a completely different story. Some days he'll fall asleep not long after we tuck him in. Other days, it's hours (really not kidding, hours) before he falls asleep. We were really strict the first night he moved from his crib to a toddler bed so he doesn't ever get out of bed... he just lays there forever. I hear him softly singing to himself, having a conversation with himself, or sometimes nothing at all. I'll walk up there totally expecting him to be asleep and he's just laying there wide awake. I feel terrible and always go up to check on him, but I don't know how to help. He's not really taking naps anymore, so I know that's not a factor. Adam is a crazy night owl and can easily stay up all night if he wants too. So he just thinks Jacob is night owl too. Before Jacob goes to sleep, he always tells him, "Jakey, remember how to go to sleep? You have to close your eyes and wait." Unfortunately, that advice hasn't produced any sleeping miracles yet. :)

Here's an example of our talks when he up at night.

Jacob - Hi mommy! Did you just take a shower?
Me - I tell him yes and lay down to cuddle with him.
Jacob - Did you get the sweaty off? (Daddy told him that's why he takes showers :)
Me - I just laugh.
Jacob - Mommy, will you sing a song with me?

We sing Jesus Loves Me and Jesus Loves the Little Children together. (Speaking of this song... I asked him the other day if Jesus loves him and he said, "No mommy, he just loves the little children.")

Me - OK Jakey, go to sleep for mommy...
Jacob - No, I just want mommy to cuddle with me.
Me - Mommy has to go to bed now too. I love you.
Jacob - I love choo too.

No comments: