Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Never seen anything like it...

I know all of you mommies have people who make cute comments about your child as you are out and about each day. Well, we were at Costco yesterday and this interaction definitely exceeded anything I've ever experienced before. There was a younger grandma pushing a cart with what looked to be her grandchild (only a few months old) in the front. Gavin squawked about something and she came rushing over with immediate words of adoration. At first, it was very typical... just stating that he was very cute. Then, it became not so typical anymore.

It was the craziest thing I've ever seen! She pinched Gavin's cheeks and kept saying the same things over and over. "Aren't you just the cutest thing I've ever seen?! Oh, I just want to squeeze you! (and more baby talk that I couldn't quite decipher)" Her daughter noticed Gavin being smothered and her initial response was to give Jacob some attention too, asking him how old he was and such. Meanwhile, her mother was now shaking Gavin's arms and kissing him all over his face.

The daughter - "OK mom, let's go. She needs to get her shopping done."
The grandma - "But just look at him!! Can't you see how cute he is?! I just have to squeeze him... look at the little BAABY!"

I'm thinking - Maybe I could understand all of this if her grandchild wasn't RIGHT next to her in the cart. Seriously... who gives another child more attention than their own grandchild?

The daughter literally starts to pull her mom away from Gavin.
The grandma starts to walk away, then runs back to Gavin and grabs his face, rubbing it next to hers.

Finally the daughter grabs and pulls her mother down the aisle (still baby talking to Gavin until she is out of sight).

Wow. Is Gavin really that cute or does her daughter have to pull her away from babies everytime they shop?

1 comment:

Tylertopia said...

One word comes to my mind. ICK.

Yes Gavin is THAT cute, however I just cannot stand when strangers feel the need to touch someone else's child...I mean come on? What made her think it was OK to kiss him and rub her face on him? Yikes! Crazy lady-smother your own kiddos! I know I am being maybe a little harsh, but the germaphobe in me just can't stand the thought of it...plus could she maybe ask your permission first? Jeez.

Again, I do have to say though...YES Gavin IS that cute! :o)