Friday, July 13, 2007

The Little Gym

The Little Gym. (Sigh and a smile.) Jacob is in love with this place. These pictures are all from his little award ceremony last June. This class in particular was the most fun for both of us. First of all, it just so happened that many of my friends (which means friends for Jacob) happened to be all together in one class. Gavin was only 3 months at the time, so he was able to come and watch from his car seat. The cutest part was that eight other babies his age were there also, so their car seats were all lined up in one long row! It was just amazingly fun to have this bonding time with Jacob, socialize with my friends, and watch him learn new things all in the same class. Gavin will be in the parent-child class this September and I CAN'T WAIT!






We took a break from Little Gym for awhile after that because Gavin became too big to bring to class with us. :) However, once Jacob turned 3, he could be enrolled in an independent class. So that's where we are today. It is so much different than the parent-child class! First of all, it's the strangest feeling seeing him in class all by himself. Instead of clutching onto my hand and sitting in my lap, he simply says, "Bye momma!" and bounces happily into the room. All I can do is hope that he will make good independent choices. Because if they don't... their teacher brings them outside for a time-out. I found myself pretty nervous as one-by-one, little classmates were being pulled out to their mommies and daddies. I was watching Jacob intently, trying to communicate telepathically from the window:

Stay away from the water fountain...
Wait a second, aren't you supposed to be in the other group?
Sit on the yellow line buddy...
Don't play yet, your teacher is still giving directions...
Oh no! Pull your pants up Jakey...

He made it though, through the entire session. Although part of me still wanted to be in there with him, I was really proud of how well he did all by himself. It was the first time that I've ever had to let go a little, and watch this little person God created enter into an independent world. It's scary, but makes you realize all the more just how important your daily role is as a mommy. Every day Jacob is learning from his experiences, which ultimately mold him into the person he will become. I'm so thankful we have Jesus as a role model to look up to!

1 comment:

The Draper Family said...

That was a great class!
The line-up of babies on the wall was hysterical... glad Ian could join the line-up at the end of the session :)