Friday, July 27, 2007

Step Girl at Heart

I started working out at the Y last summer when my friend asked if I wanted to get a personal trainer with her. I'd never done anything like this before, but it was really good for me. First of all, because I had just had a baby. Also, I really need accountability when it comes to working out. I am not one of those people who can get up early out of pure motivation. I have to know that there is someone at the gym waiting for me (who has to work out with the personal trainer by herself if I don't make it). Finally, there is the fact that it is pretty expensive, so missing a workout is like throwing away money. I loved working out together though... we challenged each other, sweat blood and tears, and worked our tails off. This same friend has now moved on to competing in triathlons! All because of me. :)

Once our personal training came to an end, my motivation to work out started to dwindle. I think it's because I am very picky about how I work out. I don't really like to run, the eliptical... not so much, spinning... no, kickboxing... no. I tried the circuit class, which I actually did really like. There are always a few friends in that class too, which is fun. I have always been a competitive swimmer, since I was six years old. It does feel incredible to be in the water, but I can't get myself to go through the process of changing, swimming, showering... probably because I'd gone through this monotonous routine everyday for almost my entire life. (Not to mention that I was a lifeguard and taught swim lessons at this same pool. I seriously lived there!)

I always wanted to try the step class, because I had taken step in high school and really loved it. All of my friends who have a membership weren't as interested though. So finally, I tried it by myself. The first time (kind of like snowboarding ;) was really bad. I guess I shouldn't have started in the 103 class, huh?! I tried hard to pretend I knew what I was doing, but mostly just stepped around in complete confusion. The instructor would call out the next step, but by the time I remembered what it was, everyone was onto the next step. It seemed like everyone else was on cue all of the time, in rhythmic perfection. I left overwhelmed and was pretty sure I wouldn't be back.

I eventually decided to give it one more try and amazingly, started figuring this thing out! The steps became more familiar and once you catch on, it's really really fun. Now I have to say, I'm officially addicted. This is the only workout that I am truly motivated by and enjoy. Not only have I been going consistently, but I actually look forward to it. Unbelievable. Even my husband is in shock. So hooray for step. Anyone want to be my step buddy? :)

No comments: