Wednesday, September 16, 2009

First days of Preschool


The entire reason Gavin was going to attend the same preschool as Jacob is because I loved Mrs. Andrews, Jacob's three year-old teacher. There is another really good preschool close to my house, but I decided to make the drive so Gavin could have this teacher too. Imagine my surprise, when I walked into his classroom and the teacher I was expecting was not there. I scanned the room until I came across her assistant teacher, who instantly recognized me. She explained that due to the economy, the school wasn't able to offer Mrs. Andrews a full-time position, so she had to take a different one. I hope my disappointment didn't show, but I'm pretty sure that it did.

We made the best of it.
I tried to make Gavin feel comfortable enough to play...
... but I'm pretty sure all he cared about was snack!


**********************************************************************************
What a difference there was between Jacob and Gavin on the first day of preschool! Jacob is fearless of new situations and was off talking and playing immediately. Gavin clung to my leg and didn't say a word. He would draw a picture or play with playdough as long as I was right by his side. When it was time to leave, he just stood frozen in place and stared at me with his big blue eyes. I don't think he was upset or scared, just unsure of who all these people were and what to do.




Casey could have played in these beans for hours!
He is definitely NOT ready for preschool though.

The craziest thing happened as I was leaving. There was a mom just outside the door that was a nervous wreck about leaving her child. She was as white as a ghost and pleading with her husband that she wasn't ready to leave yet. Just as her husband was trying to convince her that it would be fine, the preschool door shut behind us. The mom gasped, as if there was a fire inside and her child was trapped. We heard a three year-old's cry and she shrieked in utter panic, "I think that's her!!!! What do we do?!" That was all I heard before I had walked down the hall and was out of earshot. Wow. Compared to that, I am the most laid-back mom in the world. :)

Although Gavin seemed happy and relieved to see me when I picked him up, he was excited to go back the next day. Even if he does call his teacher Mrs. Andrews.

No comments: