Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Preschool crush

Ever since Jacob started preschool, he has been talking about a girl named Kelsey M. nonstop. Sure, he'll tell me about what he did for a craft, what he ate for snack, what playground equipment he played on... but you can be sure that the majority of his conversation will be about Kelsey M.

"Mommy, I play with Kelsey M."
"Kelsey M. is my bestest girl."
"I go to preschool and see Kelsey M."

The first time he mentioned her, I asked, "Oh, you have a friend named Kelsey?" Big mistake. "NO MOMMY. KELSEY M." So I concluded that there must be two Kelsey's in his class, and his friend went by Kelsey M.

I had to see who this Kelsey M. was that my little boy was so smitten over. So when I walked Jacob up to his classroom on Monday, I asked his teacher. She replied, "Oh, you mean Kelsey Ann? She's right there." She pointed to this adorable girl with wavy brown hair and big brown eyes. I expected Jacob to run up to her, grab her hand, and off they would go together. But he didn't. He shyly walked by her with a smile and headed to a different center. Hmmm... so are they best friends or does my son just have his first crush? The kind where you're too twitterpated to actually talk to them. Does that even happen at age 3?

On the way home from preschool, Jacob said with confidence, "Mommy, I have three bestest girls. Maddie (his cousin), Kailey (his most frequent playdate), and Kelsey M." Adam and I tried to explain that her name was Kelsey Ann. He looked confused. "Kelsey And?"

Oh, well. He'll figure it out soon enough. Then he told us that he loved girls AND boys. And that his bestest boys are Travis (his cousin) and Ayden. Apparently, friends are playing a bigger role in his life now... especially his bestest girls.

1 comment:

Tylertopia said...

We sooo need to play! We are getting settled (hate moving) and when the chaos subsides (hopfully very soon) it's all about buddies reuniting. :o) Please give Jacob a big hug from Ayden.