Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Whistler




Adam and I celebrated our seventh wedding anniversary at Whistler this weekend. His parents have a condo up there, so we were excited to be able to stay with them. This year was particularly special because Jacob was old enough to have his first ski lesson. OK, so let me back up a bit. Ever since Jacob was in my tummy, his grandpa has been talking to him about skiing. He is an avid skiier and dreamed that one day Jacob would follow him with his little skis down the mountain. He has sat Jacob on his lap and talked about taking him up to the "peak" so many times that I'm pretty sure it was one of his first words.

I've never been skiing, and have only made a few feeble attempts at snowboarding. So to my absolute thrill, I found that they had opened up a tube park recently. We took Jacob there the first day and had so much fun pulling him around in his giant tube and going down the hills together. It's set up almost like a waterslide park, only you link on with your family at the top and all ride down together. There are eight different lanes, all varying in curves, bumps, and height up the mountain. It was the highlight of my time there and we even built a snowman at the top of the lift together. :) Jacob was very brave and had the biggest smile on his face the entire time. (I used my mother-in-law's camera here, so I'll have to post the pictures when I get them from her)

As for the ski lesson, it went pretty well. Of course, those bitty little skis were my favorite. It was snowing really hard, so Jacob spent most of his time rolling down the mountain, making snowballs, snow angels, and climbing up steep crevases. What can you expect from a four year old who was playing in the most snow he had ever seen? It was pure winter wonderland and he loved every second of it. He did ski a few times though, when his teacher could find him. ;)

Adam's parents watched the kids so we could go out for an anniversary dinner. We actually were married on Adam's birthday, so we celebrated his birthday as well. I know... a little random, but we had some really significant reasons to get married on that day. First of all, it was on that exact day two years before that Adam had first written to me. It was also my grandparents wedding anniversary, so we loved the idea of getting married on January 6.

1 comment:

Tylertopia said...

Happy Anniversary! What a fun way to spend it too! :o)