Saturday, October 11, 2008

ZUMBA

I was finally cleared to exercise at my 6 week postpartum appointment, so I didn't waste any time. I haven't been to the Y since I had gotten pregnant with Casey, so I was anxious to be back. I really loved doing the step classes before, so I started off there. It was good, but I was a little disappointed to see that my favorite instructor was no longer there. So it just wasn't the same. I guess other people felt the same way, because there were only five compared to the forty people who had been there before.

I soon realized that the crowds had moved onto a new class called ZUMBA. ZUMBA is mostly salsa-type dancing, with lots of booty-shaking and shimmying. I felt a little out of my comfort zone, but it was in a small, enclosed room and nobody seemed to be paying attention to anyone else. So I decided to try it again, however, this morning there was one minor exception. The class took place in the main gym, wide open for everyone working out on their exercise equipment to watch! A couple of older men walking by even stopped for several minutes. I'm fine with making a fool out of myself when everyone else is right there with you, but I'm not so sure about shimmying and shaking my booty for gawking bystanders.

I did get a glimpse of everyone dancing when I went to grab a drink from my water bottle though and it actually was pretty entertaining. Some girls seemed to be salsa experts and performed each move with perfection, others were moving around awkwardly in confusion, and there were even little grandmas who were shaking their booties. I have to admit, it was pretty comical. I guess I can see why people were stopping to watch...

When Gavin was eight weeks old, my friend and I were lucky enough to work out with a personal trainer. I was able to get back to my original weight then and I'm hoping to do the same this time. A personal trainer was pretty expensive though, so I think I'll stick to ZUMBA. The instructors have very high energy and I have to admit, it is a pretty fun way to work out!

2 comments:

Organized Chaos said...

I wish I was there to split a trainer with you again in a few months when I'll need one!

Do you ever see Alesha around the Y?

Lovin' on my Boys said...

Actually, all the time. I was just talking to her yesterday... she's not a personal trainer anymore though.