Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A little poem...

Twas the night before the last day of kindergarten and amongst all the toys,
Two boys are sleeping, but I can hear Casey's sweet voice.
Your backpack is all propped up on our chair,
Waiting for the last day to swing on and wear.

Mommy is looking through your memory book this year,
Trying hard not to cry yet another sad tear.
From pumpkins to parties to Easter egg hunts,
All documented with pictures and fonts.

How I loved reading the class books that came,
Always searching for your little name.
Volunteering filled my heart with the most amazing joy,
Because I got to be close to my sweet little boy.

You are so excited, why am I so distraught?
Maybe it's just because I love you a lot.
What a big year, you learned how to read,
Your teacher is confident you will succeed.

So many new friends you met with a smile,
Making memories you know will last for a while.
I watched you grow up, lose your very first tooth,
Now you'll be left with your mommy to soothe.

How long will you kiss me as you climb on the bus,
Waving and smiling without any fuss?
Then you jump off the bus to me right before noon,
I'll be missing those afternoons with you much too soon.

I remember sending you off for your very first day,
With pictures and hugs and all ready to play.
When I was a teacher how did I not know,
That it's so hard for mommies to let their kids go?

Weren't you just a baby snuggling in my lap?
How did another year go by in a snap?
I love you my Jacob, please don't grow up too fast,
Oh how your mommy wishes kindergarten could last.

With my teacher on the last day...
I'm so excited for first grade!

3 comments:

Mike, Laura, & Makenna said...

Wow! You are super creative! That is so sweet.

Tylertopia said...

Awww! Sweetest poem ever. :o)

Anonymous said...

That is seriously the sweetest poem ever!!! I am in tears now, thanks a lot! LOL! It happens WAY to fast! - Wendi